3 blessings

3 blessings

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Chorister, Singing, Directing Music???????????

So I recently got a new calling/assignment in my church two weeks ago. I had a feeling that I was going to be asked to go back to teach the children in what we call primary. Boy was I right I got called the very next Sunday. I got called to be the Primary Chorister. I am totally freaking out. I can't sing or direct. I was supposed to just watch my first week and then start the following Sunday. Well, the Lady that was doing it before me called me and said she was sick and could I please just go ahead and do it. I said sure. I was in a total panic to say the least after I hung up the phone. I had nothing, NOTHING prepared to bring with me to help me teach the children the new song for the month. I had and idea in my head but never really followed through and finished it. So I started to race around like a mad women trying to finish breakfast, get kids dressed, get myself dressed, and try to pull my idea together all in about a 30 min time frame. So not going to happen, but I was sure going to try. I got Jerry up made him help me with the kids, I am in total panic mode at this point and he could tell. So he got the kids dressed for me, which saved me a good five minutes. Five minutes is a huge deal when you have no time to spare. The song this month that I am supposed to teach the kids is How firm a foundation, it like not the easiest song to start trying to teach if you have never done this before. So I decided to make bricks out of construction paper with the words on it and pictures to help them learn the words. So I quickly get the bricks together but am running out of time and am going to be late if I don't leave. so I bring extra sheets of paper to finish the last section of the music. I get to church while the opening song is singing, so I technically am late now. HHHAAAA!! I then go while they are teaching the gospel lesson to the children to take my papers out and see that I didn't bring the ones with the words on it, I only brought the extra paper. So I was late for church for nothing apparently. I just wanted to die. The primary president must have seen the shear panic on my face and said are you all right. I just told her I am so nervous and I forgot my stuff I work so hard to try and finish at the last minute. I assured her that once I have me stuff together I'll be together. It was just so on the spot for me. I had nothing, this was going to go well I could tell already. So I get up there and try to do the best I can, the poor pianists try to follow my lead and when I was stopping and starting, bless his heart. (He so talented at playing) He said I'll be fine. I was so nervous, I had a smile on my face and was very enthusiastic at least, hoping no one would notice my cracking voice as I was singing. I even had a teacher rudely say don't you think we should sing that part first then go to the next part. That totally threw me off, my focus and my confidence all at the same time. I know she was only trying to be helpful, but when you aren't confident in what your are doing, it takes on a whole different meaning to the person going through something like this. Anyways long story short, I got through it OK, I couldn't seem to direct the reverence and birthday songs at all. I simply wanted to go home and cry. It was not a good first experience. It wasn't completely my fault, it was really last minute. Well all week long this following week I have been getting organized and ready for tomorrow, almost to the point of over kill and being over prepared. I figure If ye are prepared ye shall not fear,right?? at least that's what I'm holding on to. I know that the Lord has called me to a special calling/assignment to teach these children to sing songs to learn about the gospel. I know he knows my strength and my weaknesses, I sure I will get the help I need. I just have to do my part and he promises to do the rest. I am excited and nervous all wrapped into one, I think it will be a good thing. It time for me to learn and grow some more. I hope tomorrow goes better than last week.

2 comments:

Angie said...

I hope you had a better experience today. I feel so bad for you! First of all, primary chorister is one of the HARDEST callings out there, and then to have to try to work it last minute is absolutely impossible. I'm so proud of you for giving it your best shot and working so hard at it! Good luck, Kristy. I know you'll be awesome at it.

Melanie Papworth said...

oh my gosh, you will be great! do you remember when i got that calling in that very same ward, and came crying to you, asking you for any games from preschool you had that i could use? i copied them from your book, colored them, got them laminated, and away we went. Want to hear something funny? I am in that SAME calling here, and have been for almost 2 years. AGAIN! Apparently I didn't learn what I needed to in Enterprise...! Anyway, a tip: go online to deseretbook.com and buy the song book thingy for the year. They will have one for sharing time ideas, and one for music. You can either buy the book (which you then make copies from, and color yourself), or you can get the CD Rom and print them out. I got the CDRom this year, thinking I would rpint it out in color, but then realized how much ink that would take, so decided against it! So I am just printing the songs out in black and white anyway, so i might as well have gotten the book! Anyway, the point is, it is the BEST $12 you will spend this year on your calling!! BUY THE BOOK!!!!!!! :) However, check with your primary pres first....a lot of the songs have Jesus Christ, Heavenly FAther, etc drawn as cartoons. I guess some stakes have given the guidance that you shouldn't use pictures like that of them. My theory is, they are kids. Everyone who is portrayed as a cartoon is cooler in their minds. And second, if it is so that they don't grow up thinking they really look like that, then they are underestimating kids...they are pretty smart. I think they realize they don't REALLY look like that. Anyway, and besides, all the paintings/drawings we DO have of them are someone else's interpretatino of what they look like - we don't ahve REAL pics of them anyway! Anyway, just check to make sure it's okay to use those pics. That's what I'm saying. Good luck!