
I'm so excited last week I was ask by a friend at church if I wanted to make fabric tote bags. I have been looking for a cute bag for all my music folders and have had no luck. So I told her I would love to learn how to make one, only one problem I can't sew very well. I struggle with even sewing a straight line at times. She said it was super easy and she doesn't sew either, so she said if she could do it, I definitely can. She was right, I was able to sew a really cute bag all by myself. I have to say I surprised myself, I was nervous about it, thinking that's what everyone says, but I did it and it was super easy. It turned out really cute I think. It was really fun to get together with several ladies from church and work together sewing bags. Everyones turned out so great and every ones was so different. It was neat to see all the different colors and patterns everyone pick, it seemed to fit each person personality. I think what really help me learn was I had someone talk me and show me all the steps one by one. I have trouble just following a pattern, I learn really fast by example. I'm a visual and textile learner. I really had an enjoyable afternoon talking and sewing with all the ladies. I think we might start up a sewing group at Church. Everyone wants to learn how to make matching pajama bottoms for there families for Christmas. That I think will be awesome. I have always wanted to be more comfortable around a sewing machine and get better at it. This experience really has helped. I was nervous that I wouldn't be able to make one without the help of others, that was going to be the true test. So I made Kate a small tote bag she could take to church with her scriptures etc in it. It was perfect, I was wasn't pressured to try to do a perfect job it was just for Kate and she would love it no matter I did. Well in the end it was a success!
I was able to sew a bag for my daughter without any assistance, not even from my Husband, which if you don't know sews better than some of my friends. Totally awesome, but frustrating at the same time. I made a few mistakes along the way and had to use the lovely seam cutter, but everything I had trouble with was fixable. I sent my mom a texted picture of my new creation and she said I want one and all your sisters want one too. They loved them. I know your probably thinking this is a long entry just to talk about making bags, but I'm just so excited that I was able to do it all on my own, and I excited to make another one.
2 comments:
Awesome job Kristy, Kate's bag is perfect for spring. I love the material you picked. Lookin good.
i still think that we should start our monthly-craft-night. i wouldn't mind having it here (once i get my table back :)). you did a good job on kate's! i took a closer look at yours while the kids were here yesterday, so i could see how you did it. great job!!!
by the way, i took a couple of pictures of the kids yesterday - i'll email them to you when i have a minute. and thanks for the information you printed for me yesterday. it was so helpful!
Post a Comment