3 blessings

3 blessings

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Snow in Alabama








Yes by the title you read it right, it snowed in Alabama. February 12, 2010 in Enterprise, Alabama was a day to always remember. There was rumors of 1 up to 4 inches of snow the day before and I was not falling for it. They have said that in the past, but with all this crazy weather happening lately everywhere else, why not here right. Well, everything was cancelled, I mean everything, for a measly 3 inches. I guess if you aren't use to snow, 3 inches is a huge amount of snow. All the schools were closed and even some roads. Well as predicted it started snowing at 7:00 in the morning until about 4:30pm . I have never seen my kids get dress so fast in my life. Usually it a chore, not today. We when out as fast as we could to play in the white stuff not knowing how long it would last. I dressed them in three layers of pants, Kate had rain boots to wear, Caleb just his tennis shoes, and their winter coats (which have been used maybe 3 time before this time, crazy how warm it is down here) and I did what I remembered doing as a kid sometimes when my mittens where still wet, I resorted to socks. I ended up putting about three pair of socks on each kid. Now we were ready to go, I'm so glad I don't have to do the whole getting snow gear on all the time, it's exhausting. The kids where having so much fun, hey I was having way too much fun too. This was Caleb's and our dogs first time playing in snow. Caleb was only 7 months last year when he saw it in Utah. This was his first time playing in it. He was so excited he kept walking around looking down at his feet babbling like Charlie Brown. He loved it until Kate decided to try and throw a dinner plate size snow ball at me and missed and hit her brother right in the face. Nice initiation eh to the world of snowm eh. Caleb got over it quickly and began to play again. Sadie our dog didn't want to even touch it at first, then she started running all over with what we call the "zoom -zooms". Sadie rolled around in it and chased snowballs all day, it was funny after we threw the snowball she couldn't quite find the ball after she chased it, to funny. Kate was ecstatic, she said Mommy, Mommy it's snowing like at my Grandma's houses. I was so happy for her, she asked me last year when we left Utah if it would snow where we lived I said probably not, well she got her wish one year later. I believe anything is possible now. We have lived here for 6 years and I have never seen snow like this. Kate and I made a little snow man in the backyard with the first little bit of snow fall, I helped her make a little one thinking that was as big as we could probably make with the snow we were going to get. I was wrong, it snowed a ton more. After we came inside for a break we had Hot Chocolate and waited for the Clothes to dry in the dryer to go out again. Jerry then help build a large, I mean huge snow man in the front yard, it put my little snowman I made with Kate to shame. How was I supposed to know we would get way more snow. Kate and Caleb loved helping roll the snowballs for the snowman. We ended up deciding to make a whole snowman family one for each member in our family. We had all our neighbors come out and they all wanted to take a picture with our snowman. Each would tell us how long they lived here and that they have never seen this much snow and this much snow that actually stuck to the ground. We live by quiet a few of elderly people. So you know that this was something really unique. They would say they lived here over 30 years and have never seen this before. We even had several people drive by and take pictures of our creation, even the Postman, it was so neat to talk and meet more of my neighbors. I had a blast. It was that perfect fluffy flakes that are so big you can catch them on your tongue. It's the kind of snow you love to just take a walk in. I sure do miss the snow. I know all you cold weather state people want to strangle me right now. We spent the whole day from sun up to sun down playing in the snow. It was so fun to share this experience with my kids. My southern babies just don't ever get a chance to really see and play in snow so this made for great, free, fun entertainment for the day. It was really great family time as well, all working together to build each other snowman, it was great. I thought I was going to miss seeing snow this season for the first time in my life because we didn't go to Utah for our normal Christmas visit, but I was wrong it amazingly enough came to us. What a day to remember, snow in Alabama! The weather man reported up getting 5-6 inches of snow, so even more than predicted. Words can seem to express the joy and fun we had as family yesterday. A day of firsts for many, first time seeing snow in Alabama, a first time for Caleb and Sadie to play in snow, and Kate making her first official snowman. What a day, to much fun for words and somewhat unbelievable that it actually happen.

































3 comments:

Nilla said...

Wow!!! That's a lot of snow!!! And how cute are you guys!? Making a snowman (or woman ;)) for every family member! Looks like tons of fun! What great memories! And I have to say, Jerry must be an expert snowman-maker! To get the snow to roll that well....

Mitchell4 said...

Great pictures Kristy. I wish it snowed more often. You were nominated in the beautiful blog awards. You'll have to check out my blog post for rules. Have a great day.

Melanie Papworth said...

WHAT?!?!?!? THAT IS CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!