3 blessings

3 blessings

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Homemade Bird Feeder
















Spring is in the air. Outside Kate discover the pretty song of a bird and asked me if I knew the name of the bird that was singing. So I looked up and sure enough it was what I thought, a Red Cardinal. We were able to take some neat pictures of it. I then explain that it was a boy bird, and that the reason he is so colorful, is that he was trying to get the girl birds attention. Sure enough as you look across the tree branch you saw the female bird singing her song back. This reminded me off my Grandpa Spafford and his love of birds and helping him put the bird feed out in the early morning. Good memories! It then gave me the idea of the time I made bird feeders out of pine cones and peanut butter in grade school. We have huge pine trees here with really large pine cones just freshly fallen off the trees. We collected them one day on one of our walks. Kate and Caleb really enjoyed making the bird feeders, I put the peanut butter on and Kate rolled it in the bird feed. Let just say all Caleb wanted to do is eat the peanut butter, that was his favorite part. I had to get him his own special spoon and scoop it out of the peanut butter we actually eat. Let just say when I was busy with Kate and I missed Caleb dipping his spoon in for more in the wrong jar of Peanut butter. I guess a little bird food hasn't hurt any one right, it was just a tiny amount so I wasn't too worried. It was a good little project to do with the kids, quick and simple and so much fun. It was neat to see the birds actually using the feeder. Kate is always looking out the window to see the birds eating, she is always excited to point it out to me," look at the birds mommy" I was a great time, and the kids love it.

4 comments:

Angie said...

What a great activity to do with your kids!

Derek & Penny said...

Such a cute idea! I am going to have to remember this one for Lincoln when he is a bit older. THANKS for the Letter, it made my day. Last Sunday coming up...I will sure miss you.

Jack and Marie said...

What a great mom! Listening to your children; researching answers for correctness; finding teaching moments everywhere possible; and turning them into an activity they will remember for the rest of their lives. You're a sweetie!
UJ

Nilla said...

That's awesome!! A great activity and a great memory for your kids! Plus inexpensive! Score on all aspects :)!!