3 blessings

3 blessings

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Memorial Day

Happy Memorial Day! This year for Memorial Day I wanted to combine it with our Family Home Evening.  The idea for this was a combination of ideas from my mom and my Uncle Rick,  I thank them for inspiring today's celebrations.
My Uncle Rick each year for Memorial Day find someone to tell his Dad's story, (My Grandpa) about serving our country in World War II.  I wrote to my Uncle  about a month earlier, and asked if I could be his "person" this year.  He agreed and sent it to me by e-mail.  This was the letter he wrote to me.....


Please share this with your children, so they will know of their grandfather's service to our country. 

Every Memorial Day, or on a day thereabouts, I have found someone, or a small group of people and have told them of my father’s service to our 
country. Not only to honor him, but to honor all the men and women who have served, who have fought in battle, who have been wounded, and, especially, the multitude who have given their lives for our county.
As the years have gone by--and I have been doing this for decades--I have found that I cannot get through it anymore without crying. Therefore, I’m writing it this year, and I’m including all of you who are related to him, so you will all know, and will turn for a moment and think of the sacrifices of all these hundreds of thousands of people, and not just them, but their families, as well. We all suffer from war.  
My father was born April 18th, 1919. He was in his first year at GMI when he was drafted into the Army. He served in the Pacific Theatre, in the Philippines and in New Guinea. On the coral beaches of the Philippines, he was shot from behind by a sniper, and the heavy round went through and through on his shoulder and wrecked it for the rest of his life. In the beaches and jungles of New Guinea, he and his squad were in some vicious fighting, and one day while Dad and two other men were sitting in a trench during a bombardment, a mortar shell landed on the stomach of a man sitting two men away from Dad. That man and, if I remember correctly, the one sitting next to him were killed. Dad took multiple pieces of shrapnel to his knee, which was then damaged for the rest of his life. In addition, his hearing was damaged, and he suffered from tinnitus (ringing in the ear) for the rest of his life. Finally, he contracted malaria in the jungle and had a great deal of trouble with that disease for the first decade after returning home. 
As a result of these injuries, he received an insultingly low disability benefit. I don’t remember the amount, but Mom showed me the check one day, and I was shocked. In addition, while they didn’t talk about this until they started paying attention to it and got a name for it, I believe he suffered from a pretty severe case of PTSD.
In addition to the two Purple Heart medals he received for his injuries, he was also a Sargent and squad leader. He and his squad were once trapped behind enemy lines in the jungle for three days, and he brought them all out without a scratch. For that and for an assault on a machine gun emplacement, If I remember rightly, he was also awarded a Bronze Star and a Silver Star. For those of you who don’t knew the honor of those two medals, let me just state plainly that they are given to heroes. Our father was a hero, a true warrior, and we all miss him to this day. He died on, June 6, D-Day 1984. He died unnecessarily, from an internal bleed they never should have missed. Our father was a highly intelligent, creative, intuitive (beyond belief, really), and skilled person. The war changed his life from one in which he would have been highly educated and, quite likely, very successful economically. Perhaps it’s true that we all would have lead more successful lives, if only... 
We didn’t get called to make the sacrifices and suffer the life changes he was given, but what happened to him, also happened to us. Remember him, and remember the others like him, and their families as well.
And may peace be with us.
Rick
 I am forever grateful for my Uncle for Sharing this with the whole family.  I knew some of those facts about my Grandpa, but it was so nice to have the gaps filled in.  I am forever honor and grateful to have known, such a wonderful man in my life, that I called Grandpa.  I only got to spend a short 6 years of my life with him, but to this day I hold many fond memories of him.  My Grandpa was a true Hero!




Your probably wondering how I tied this in with family home evening.  I gathered the family together, Karrie's family joined us.  I talked about why this day, Memorial Day is so special ,and  what it means.  I then showed the kids a picture of my Grandpa, their Great Grandpa ,while my Brother-in-law read the above story.  I know I felt the spirit strongly today in our family room.  I told the children that many people have die in the service of our country.   They have help make it possible for us to worship where and how we may, and for the freedoms we have.  I also told them that many in this world don't know about the gospel and the promise that we can be together forever.  That those who have died at war can once again be with there loved ones.  I talked about what a great blessing in our lives to have that knowledge and the peace that can bring.    I told them that we can see Grandpa Spafford again, and what a joyful day that will be.  We should want to share this with everyone we know. 
We ended our lesson with a song and pray and then started our activity. To help share the knowledge we have of the gospel we decided to buy red, white, and blue helium balloons; and attached pass along cards, with information that people could call to know more about the church and eternal families.  We also wrote messages on the balloons that said things like... God Bless American, We love you Grandpa, We support our Troops, Jesus Loves You, etc.  
We gave each child and adult a balloon to let go into the sky.  We had some troubles with the weight of the card and the string.  We quickly learned the string had to be very short to not put so much weight on the balloon.  The kids had blast with this, they watch their balloons float high up in the sky.  My dad even laid on his back on the ground to get a better view and some of the grand kids joined him.  It was fun to point out the different colors and see how high they were going.  I once did this activity in Elementary school to see if anyone would write back, kind of like a pen pal. It was a neat experience. 












 I don't know if anything will come of those pass along cards, but it sure felt great to take time to remember our veterans, and soldiers.   It also felt great to help share the gospel to others and the knowledge of how Families can be together forever!  We ended the evening with Ice cream Sundaes.  I think this is definitely a repeat family home evening for future Memorial days.  
God Bless American ,and all those who have served and are serving in the Military. Happy Memorial Day to everyone!  We love you Grandpa Spafford!

No comments: