3 blessings

3 blessings

Sunday, October 26, 2008

House of Order and Personal Change

Well, this week I tried something a little different. I have always struggled to keep this little apartment clean and tidy. We have so much stuff and not enough place to put things, so as you can imagine when one or two things get left out it can look really messy. I use to clean my house on as need basis and it just wasn't working for me, something had to change. I was talking to my friend Stacy and she told me what someone told her once, you have to really be serious about wanting to change, or else your're just going to keep talking about it and nothing is going to change for you at all. So after much prayer and thought, I had a thought run threw my mind that said " If your children have a schedule on when they do things each day why wouldn't a schedule work for you." I know it not a rock science idea but sometimes the simplest answers are right in front of your face and you don't even see them. So two weeks ago I really clean everything up, got the laundry caught up, the rooms straighten up, bathrooms in order, etc. so that I could start following a schedule of certain chores I would accomplish each day. This last week I put it to the test, I follow my list of chores each day and and did my dishes and room sweep at the end of each day. It was hard at first to change my old habits, I had to really be aware and remember to do what I had set out to do. I found that I was able to feel more relaxed knowing that all I had to do was the list of chores that day and I could tell myself I didn't have to worry about other items because, that's something that would get done this week just not today. My anxiety was better this week, I didn't feel like I had to be cleaning all the time, all day long. I could sit back a do something for me because the chores were done that day. It felt so much better to wake to a clean house and start on a better note. I felt much better and was in a better mood as well. I also started walking every morning with the kids. I started having a set time for when I exercise, because if any of you are like me if you don't schedule a time it may not get done. That too has been a nice change for me. I've had more time for me, more time for my kids and I don't feel so overwhelmed and consumed by my home and the house work. Like my Grandma would tell you I'm not a cleaner by nature, it's something I work on everyday. Like I said before this is not that exciting and new to all of you, but it been a good change for the better for me. It's been a much better week for me. I have truly been able to have Sunday be a day of rest, not having to clean up and then try to relax. I just want to share my personal positive change I've had this week. Looking back at this week I can say it has work a lot better for me, this new way of cleaning and I'm going to strive to stick with it and continue to be more at peace with myself.

3 comments:

the happy thomas family said...

good for you. i glad that it all worked out for you. just keep it up... it is very easy to fall back into the "old groove". for instance... you should see my house this week. next week will be better. love you.

Jacob and Crystal Krausz said...

Ditto of Stace!!!!

And I love you too also.........

Angie said...

Good for you! How satisfying to wake up to a clean house, and to be able to take some time for yourself guilt-free.

By the way, where the heck did you go to get a family picture on an elephant?!