
Well, I have to say singing time at church went pretty well. The kids loved the idea of the paper bricks with the words on it. They learned the first verse of the song pretty well, the third was another story. I was still very nervous, it didn't help that they had the heat blasting full force and it about 70 degrees outside. So I was sweating to death, more from nervousness. I still had trouble singing, but the directing was better I think. The kids seem to respond to me pretty well. The older kids want to test me a little with what they can get a way with me. One boy was rough housing and hitting his friend. So I told him right in front of everyone, do you need to go out in the hall for singing time? Do we hit in church, he quickly sat down and was quiet and was good the rest of the time. The primary Secretary gave me a thumbs up from that back of the room after I had set the boy straight. This is not an easy calling, it is so challenging. The lady that did it before me decided to help hold Caleb while I did singing time, Jerry wasn't there that day. She also wanted to check me out she said. She said I was very creative and that I did better then she ever did. I told her she did a great job and that the Kids learned just as much. She said she like my creativity. That was nice of her to say. So I am finishing up and taking the bricks off the board and the same teacher that made comments to me about how to do things, came up to me again and asked if she could make more suggestions. I know she was just trying to help, but it really doesn't, it really made me feel like I was still doing it wrong. So frustrating... I was feeling pretty good that I made it through without any major catastrophes, and then this teacher had to say something. I know, I know she was trying to help, I just wanted her not to say anything to me. So I was had mixed feelings at this point after I got home. I didn't realize how exhausted I was after all this, I think the anxiety of doing a good job just wore me out. So I took a good nap and woke up and as I was ending my day I hear Kate singing upstairs in her room. I go up to see what she is doing and she is sing only part of the song she remembered.... you hear her singing "How firm a Found-AA-tion (with emphasis on the A part) ya a a saint of Lord." So after that I realized I must have done something right, my 3 year old was sing the song I had try so hard to teach early that day at church. She was singing in her room. I felt much better after that realizing, that I may not know what I am doing but if my daughter can learn this not so easy song, I have done something right. It was so cute to listen to her sing, it put a big smile on my face. She got out her little hymn book and wanted to sing the song to her dad as well. I think I can go back next week and face this challenging calling head on and really go for it.
5 comments:
Hey Kristy
Sounds like your doing an awesome job. Don't let the Sr Primary get you nervous. For some reason our Jr Primary learns the songs better/faster than the Sr. Primary. Strange. Keep up the good work.
Yay!! It's nice to know you are doing it right?
glad that it went better than before. you will get the hang of how to do things before you know it. and the next time that so-and-so make a comment... just look her in the eye and say, "i'm sorry... i didn't realize that this was your calling?". just kidding... but i would totally say that... if i were a different person. love you! CAN'T WAIT FOR THE PARTY!
Congrats! I know you are going to be terrific. Just smile and nod and ignore anything anyone says that makes you feel inadequate. You'll feel better if you don't let it bother you (easier said than done, right?).
haha i knew you'd be so good at that job! i bet you are so awsome with those kids. good luck
Post a Comment